By default, the Beaver Builder Theme footer shows a single centered column with the following information.
- Copyright symbol and date
- The WordPress site title, pulled from Settings > General < Site Title.
This setting is also located at Appearance > Customize > Settings > Site Identify > Site Title. In this example, the site title is "My Biz Ltd."
- Pipe symbol
- "Powered by Beaver Builder" text with a link
There are two ways to change this default footer: through the Customize area of the Beaver Builder Theme, or by adding copyright.php to your child theme and modifying it.
Change the default footer using Customizer
There are several advantages of using Customize > Footer > Footer Layout to modify the default footer text:
- You can eliminate the footer entirely, or you can change from one footer column to two.
- You can easily add a menu or social icons to a footer column.
- You can use the Beaver Themer [fl_year] shortcode to keep the year updated.
It's very easy and fast. See the Customizer Footer Tab article about footer layout settings.
Modify the child theme's copyright.php file
You can also customize the footer by overwriting the copyright.php file with one of the same name in your child theme. The following procedure shows how to make a minor change to the "Powered by" statement in copyright.php.
You must be using a child theme or your file will be overwritten with every Beaver Builder Theme update.
To change the "Powered by" statement in the default Beaver Builder Theme footer:
- Using FTP, navigate to < your-site>/wp-content/themes/bb-theme-child.
- Create a subfolder named includes.
- Navigate to Beaver Builder parent theme at < your-site>/wp-content/themes/bb-theme/includes and copy the copyright.php file, then paste it into the child theme's subfolder you created in the previous step.
- In the child theme includes folder, open copyright.php for editing.
- Locate the fourth line, which starts with:
- Starting with the text "Powered by," replace or remove the
Powered bytext, the
<a href>link, and the link text.
In this example, the link was removed and the text changed to the following:
<span id="fl-site-credits">Website design by Example Designs Ltd.</a></span>
- Save your edits and if necessary copy copyright.php back to the child theme location.
The new information should now display in your footer.